Undoubtedly 2016 has been the year of the Ladies. Seriously, Indian women have taken feminism to a whole new level by achieving extraordinary accolades in the most diverse areas. These women have redefined success and announced their identity to the world with the resonance of trumpets. Their achievement has given inspiration to millions and their contribution to society is phenomenal.
Not only in Bollywood, but Indian women also raised the Indian Flag in every wing of achievement. whether it is Sports, Corporate world, acting, theater or Olympics. These women have proved the nation, they are enough to rule the world.
Let’s recall the terrific achievements grabbed by Indian Women by scrolling down the list of Indian Women who were in headlines for their hardcore hard work and dedication.
1. Priyanka Chopra was appointed the global goodwill ambassador for UNICEF this year and also received the Padma Shree award; the third-highest civilian award in India, for taking India to a global platform. This comes at a time when her career as an actress has reached its peak with shows like Quantico in her bag!
2. P.V. Sindhu shone in the 2016 Rio Olympics by becoming the first Indian woman to win a silver medal in badminton in the Olympics.
3. Dipa Karmakar created history when she became the first Indian female gymnast to participate in the Olympics to date. Even though she did not win a medal, she definitely won millions of hearts and proved that women truly have begun to follow their dreams without all doubt in our country.
4. Sania Mirza’s legendary rise to world no. 1 in the WTA doubles category came as a strong reminder that Indian women are carrying the country’s reputation on their strong shoulders and breaking all the stereotypes.
5. Arundhati Bhattacharya was in the news for becoming the first woman Chairperson of the State Bank of India association. She has also been ranked as the 25th most powerful woman in the world by Forbes magazine.
6. Ravinder Bhogal is well known for her chic Indian-flavoured cookery show on TLC. This chef took India one step further this year by opening her very first restaurant, Jikoni in London that boasts of Sikh, Indian and East African cuisine and has already become one of the top-rated in the city.
7. Twinkle Khanna, with the launch of her new book, The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad, in October this year, made a clear statement that she has no intentions of being branded as a failed actress or simply Akshay Kumar’s wife. This woman is on her way to etch her name across the world. The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad is an anthology of short stories about women who have the courage to live unconventional lives. Well, she really knows how to make a point!
8. Uppma Virdi is the famous ‘Indian Chaiwali’ in Australia who went viral throughout social media a few months ago when she took the idea of a chaiwala and spun it into an ingenious business idea. Australia acknowledged her talent by honoring her with the Australian Business and community award earlier this year.
9. Sakshi Malik won a Bronze medal at the Rio Olympics this year in wrestling and hence etched her name into Indian history as she became the first Indian female wrestler to win a medal at the Olympics as well as the fourth overall medalist for the country. She has definitely put down all stereotypes with her grand accomplishment!
10. Deepa Malik’s silver in short put in the Paralympics this year is not just an inspiration to women but to humanity. Despite being physically bound to a wheelchair due to a spinal tumor, the 45 yr old mother of two is a force to reckon with.
11. Lilly Singh a.k.a. IISuperwomanII, as her fans know her, is a world-famous youtube star. She is a millionaire and the third highest-paid video blogger in the world. This year the Indian-Canadian entertainer became even more popular when she had an interview with the U.S. first lady, Michelle Obama and she pretty much nailed it!
These women have independently marked their names in golden words and made India proud. If you know any wonder woman around you who is making her name in any respective field then don’t forget to tell us.